Ipoh was originally known as Paloh, meaning tin mines, many of which were operated around Paloh more than a century ago, dating back to as early as the 19th century.
As Paloh Khoo Miu worshipped the Real God of Tai Pak Kong (大伯公), it was also know as Ipoh Chinese Tai Pak Koong Temple among local residents.
The Paloh Khoo Miu witnessed the development of Paloh, particularly the early Chinese immigrants who overcame all sorts of difficulties and challenges for the past few centuries. With a history of 133 years till now, it blessed Ipoh residents all these year, with joss sticks burning unceasingly amid endless worshippers.
The God Spirit of Da Bo Gong was originally brought with burning joss sticks from the Da Bo Gang Temple in Hai Zhu Island, near Penang, 133 years ago in 1872, by Leong Fi (梁辉) also known as Liang Bi Bu (梁碧如) whose native town was Mei Xian of China’s Guangdong Province), a promient miner, and others, settling him down in a small temple by the side of the Kinta River in Paloh. At that time, there were barges and small boats navigating between Paloh and Teluk Intan. With Tai Pak Koong sitting at the Old Temple offering blessings and protection, residents were safe both at home and in outings. They paid high tribute to him with devout homage.
Some two decades later, in 1894 (coincided with the Jia Wu Year of the Qing Dynasty’s Emperor Guangxu), zealous local residents, led by Overseas Chinese leaders Leong Fi (梁辉) and Yau Tet Sin (姚德胜) originated from Guangdong Province’s Pingyuan Country, applied to the British Government for piece of land to build a temple. Upon approval and with strong support from Overseas Chinese leaders and local residents, the Paloh Old Temple was formally built at its present site.